Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Till death do us part, fitness for life

Over the past few years I have been able to experience a big chunk of the fitness industry. I have coached hundreds of clients in wide populations, managed teams of personal trainers and  24/7 gym facilities, and battled with my own pursuit of fitness glory (despite my nasty hip dysfunction).

Through these experiences, I have found that these ideas always shone true: Fitness is a life-long endeavor, it is a bridge between puny you and ultimate you, and it is a marriage and a bond that will bend but never break. Sure there will be fights; a few years ago I hurt my lumbar dead lifting with an overused and not-properly-warmed-up body.  My back felt like it had cracked in half as the weight slammed to the floor. (It was a 365lb dead lift, I was on my first date.)

I was out for three weeks, but I came back and learned from my mistakes, and I was better for it. Like all long-term relationship evolution, fitness evolves over time.  Our mindset changes as our bodies change.  We learn from our mistakes, and in the end, we are more sound psychologically and physically.

I see so many people who want the short term fix, the overnight savior.  I tell them this one statement: "The most worthwhile endeavors in life are the one's that take years of blood, sweat and tears to accomplish." Til death do us part, so should our relationship with fitness be.   Fitness is forever, and it is the most worthwhile endeavor one can ever undertake.

-Zac

1 comment:

  1. Zac,
    Another inspirational post, but pretty it's quite comical when you compare it to a 'first date'.

    ReplyDelete